Friday, June 15, 2012

My blog is my way of speaking.


I have neglected my blog, after years of consistency and years of cataloguing every dull event in my life, along came twitter and our podcast and bang went the blog.

Well, it’s back, I love being able to look back and see what I was doing in 2004 on a rainy Wednesday- wouldn’t you? Fuck yea!

Am 51 years old and a stand up comic, women my age (according to some folk) shouldn’t be standing in a night club swinging their fat ass to some music as they wait to go onstage and do their comedy thing- but I do and I love it.

The down side to being 51 is am starting to witness more friends and family slowly get illness’s and die, that didn’t happen as much in my 30s and it is worrying me now. This age thing, I know my dad won’t last forever- but I am not ready to face that shit yet.

The upside is I get to travel and see pals across the world in my job. My recent trip to London to see Monica was cracking fun not only did I get to enjoy her amazing flat (as a single woman she has a bathroom akin to a spa- with all the latest products and fluffy towels in huge supply) but she is just such a good pal to enjoy life with. You know those pals who you can sit down and basically debate every single issue, secretion, sexual feeling, depressive swing, financial stomach lurch and crushed dreams with? That’s her!

She has acquired a goldfish by default and my job was to keep it alive in London when she hopped off to Scotland for the weekend. I haven’t felt that responsible since Ashley was a baby! It’s quite an aggressive fish and plops up through the surface when you go to feed it and licks your hand. That’s scary and I did manage to keep it alive.

I will tell you what else is scary, a homeless man with care bears tied randomly to his legs, I keep having nightmares about this, I saw it in los Angeles a few years ago and keep thinking the dirty ripped bondage bears represent children he will kill. Anyway, that’s what this blog is about, being distracted half way through a sentence.

Comedy is going through a tough time- clubs are closing and the Euro football and Olympics can fuck up with comedy events, but we all keep going. The recent boom on TV for comedy has a knock on effect as well, with public just wanting to go see people who have been on telly, doesn’t matter if they are good, bad or indifferent as long as they are famous they are worth buying a ticket for! This will affect the Edinburgh Fringe this year as well, which I decided not to do this year.

If the buying public want to go see people they love off the telly, they can go fill their boots, but please go see some people you haven’t seen before.  It’s what keeps comedy alive.

Life in Glasgow is ticking by fine. I have a great wee pal up here who is my best buddy called Shirley, we were introduced through someone else and to be honest I wasn’t really interested in new pals. The day I called her was the day I found out my comedy pal Jason Wood had died suddenly and she was just so lovely on the phone and so practical and understanding I forget how I ever managed without her in my life. I am blessed with good pals.

This week was great fun as me and Ashley did our 100th podcast and you can get it here http://janeygodley.podomatic.com/

So here we are bringing the blog back up to speed after a big hiatus and me being a lazy bastard – welcome back.

You can follow me on twitter as @janeygodley

No comments: